Lamson Litespeed Micra 5 Reel
The drag housing is made from the same solid bar stock as the frame. There is no need for a separate threaded cassette. This allows the reel to be narrower, reduces mass and strengthens the frame. Though larger in each line weight vs. the prior generation, it's actually lighter in mass through integrated drag housing and more frame porting. More aggressive ratios (larger diameter/narrower spool) means faster retrieve and easier line management. New and improved drag knob with zero snag points features full diameter with aggressive serrated knurling.
The Generation 5 with Micra proprietary finish is 20 times more impervious to corrosion than standard anodize, and just as hard as Type III Hard Alox.
Since the Litespeed’s inception in 1998, there has been a constant relationship between it and Force reels. Over time these inventive ideas were put to work in Litespeed’s more conventional structure, resulting in one of the most successful and influential fly reels of the last two decades. After years of designing, Lamson developed an engineering alchemy, the Generation 5 Litespeed, a fly reel structure that is larger in diameter, stronger yet lighter!
1. By integrating the drag housing into the frame, the housing itself is now a structural member, increasing stiffness and strength.
2. Eliminating the cassette and the threaded overlaps reduces material and thus weight.
3. The integrated housing is much narrower and the frame /drag unit much lighter.
4. A narrower drag can support a narrower spool, which results in additional weight reduction.
What if the reel being improved is already the lightest full drag reel in the world? Perhaps then, the designer would consider other improvements such as increasing the overall diameter of the reel and trading weight savings into improved retrieve rate.
Introducing the new Litespeed: Higher retrieve rate, narrower spool for improved line handling and a stiffer frame. As with all Litespeeds, you’ll find enhanced 3D milling for better material distribution and an improved ergonomic drag knob for better grip.
Lastly, the Gen 5 Litespeed comes with a Micralox finish, a spectacular new finish process first used on the Force SL 20th Anniversary edition. Micralox is a proprietary process unique to Waterworks and Lamson reels. It’s far more environmentally protective than Type III anodize and even more scratch resistant.
More Information On The Lamson Micra 5 Fly Reel
- Litespeed Micra-5 is now larger and narrower in each line weight versus all prior generations. This means faster retrieve and easier line handling.
- Despite being larger in each line weight, new Micra-5 is actually lighter than the prior generation Litespeed in each line weight. This was achieved, in part, by machining the drag cassette (female cone section) into the solid frame. This eliminates material, though adds machining cost.
- Despite being lighter, Micra-5 is structurally stronger than the prior generation Litespeed. With the material savings gained by moving to an integrated drag cassette, we added back material to spool and frame in areas that increase rigidity.
- Micra-5, as the name implies, uses "Micralox" anodize finish. This is a proprietary and patented finish that no other reel is using (exception: our 20th Anniversary Force reel). Micralox is an exceptional quality finish. Initially developed for use in surgical applications, this finish is just as hard and durable as our Type 3 Hard Alox but is 20x more corrosion-resistant. It's a very expensive finish, but it sets Litespeed apart from all other reels. The name "Micra-5" both describes the Micralox finish and the fact that this reel is the 5th generation of Litespeed which was first introduced in 1998.
- Last but not least, we've addressed the one criticism we have historically had with Litespeed: the drag knob. The knob on Micra-5 is larger and easier to grip.
Whenever we make changes from one generation to the next on a successful reel like Litespeed, we're always careful to add meaningful improvements while still keeping the look and legacy that made the reels successful in the first place. I think we've done this with Litespeed Micra-5, adding features and benefits that make it the best Litespeed yet.
Features of the Litespeed Micra 5 Fly Reel:
• Now larger and narrower in each line weight versus all prior generations for faster retrieve and easier line handling.
• Microlox finish, a spectacular proprietary finish process unique to Waterworks and Lamson reels. (More environmentally protective than Type III anodize and even more scratch resistant.)
• Larger drag knob that is easier to grip
• Drag housing is made from the same solid bar stock as the frame.
• Lighter in mass through integrated drag housing and more frame porting.
• More aggressive ratios (larger diameter/narrower spool) means faster retrieve and easier line management.
• Larger drag knob improved with zero snag points features full diameter with aggressive serrated knurling.
There are no reviews available for your selection